For anyone who wasn't sitting within five feet of me when we watched Tavi's TED talk, I am a huge fan of her and her work and her writing and her style and her face and her life. I am also a huge feminist. I wasn't born this pway- my parents didn't teach me to think like this. My feminism grew from kind of waking up and looking around and seeing the inequality I face.
Last Christmas, my mom gave me Rookie Yearbook One, which is the physical manifestation of rookiemag.com, the website Tavi founded and mentioned in her talk. After reading it approximately forty eight thousand six hundred and ninety-two times, and browsing the site for about forty million eighty six thousand three hundred and seventy nine years, I made a short shopping list/ new year's resolution list for myself: (WARNING: vaguely corny. I did not think I would ever post them to a blog for english class)
if you look, every item was a change to my person style that I'd always wanted to try, but had been held back by- shyness? fear of not looking exactly how I wanted to? Whatever it was- I think rookie succeeded in their goal of trying to get girls to question themselves and to give themselves the answers, and to go after what it is they wanted.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment